Sunday, March 8, 2009

Tostones Rellenos

Okay, I realize that these are not actually "stuffed" plantains in the manner of croquetas, but the fried plantain serves as a bowl for all sorts of cute toppings.

To make the shells, follow beginning of tostones recipe, but so not flatten a second time, rather use a shot glass or something that approximate size to form a bowl shape to the fried plantain, then continue the normal recipe to finish.

Fillings:

Shrimp, Queso Fresco and Avocado

Cuban Style Picadillo

Pork Carnitas-you can also use a pork butt for this recipe, reduce cooking time accordingly

Black Beans & Goat Cheese-follow the recipe, but rather than add plantains, use filling in plantain shells

4 comments:

  1. I have not had fried plantains since I was a kid. Thank you for ressurecting such amazing memories and gosh, now I need to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SUCH a huge fan of plantains. I don't fry them often, but when I do it becomes a production for company. These are some great ideas... totally giving me a craving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love plantains and this is a totally new way for me to enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for spreading the wonders of a toston relleno and yes "all sorts of cute toppings" . . . perfect description. We have been spreading the toston relleno word for years now. We are Tostobueno the Ultimate Tostonera, an eco-friendly plantain smasher and molder that makes it real easy for anyone to make stuff plantain cups. Check our site out www.Tostobueno.com and our Sweet Cherry Pie Toston - talk about assimilation at its best!

    ReplyDelete

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)