Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Moroccan Chicken

I am not a big lamb fan...well, to qualify, they are cute and I like to wear their wool, but am not so into eating them. Thus, to compliment my Vegetarian Moroccan Tagine, I like to make Moroccan Chicken. Vegetarian Tagine + Chicken = Moroccan Chicken Tagine.

I am making both vegan and chicken options for my work fundraiser. 20+ orders of tagine, weighing in around 1 lb per serving, and taking the public transit, dear lord wish me luck.

But anyways...onto the chicken!

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts (about 2 lb total)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 juiced lemon
1 diced Vidalia onion
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Dash paprika
Dash cumin

What I love about this recipe is that it is easy, healthy, and produces very moist, delicious chicken to serve over tagine, with couscous or just by itself.

Put bell pepper, herbs, lemon, onion, olive oil, crushed red pepper, paprika and cumin in food processor or blender.

Lightly blend so that ingredients form a slush. (Sorry I cannot find a better word for it than slush).

Wash chicken breasts and pat dry with a paper towel. Put chicken breasts and marinade in a large Ziploc bag. Seal and invert bag until chicken is covered completely by marinade.

Refrigerate overnight, or at a minimum, 4 hours before cooking.

Preheat oven to 375.

Bake chicken 20-25 minutes-to see if it is done, slice on breast to see if chicken is no longer pink.

Remove from oven, grind pepper over chicken and serve!

6 comments:

  1. You know me I love to go to Morocco anytime, so this sounds good, and are you ambitious! If I was near you I would so be over and help you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ambitious...manic...you know, whatever gets the job done! But seriously, I would love to have friends not in grad school and/or who like to cook right about now!!! I just have to keep my eye on the prize, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20 lbs of chicken on the T? You're nuts! It does sound good though. Do you leave a layer of marinade on when you cook it or do you remove it all first?

    ReplyDelete
  4. About 20 lbs of tagine (stew) AND chicken...I leave the marinade on...it forms a sort of crust, leaving the chicken juicy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum!! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Protein is a protein right? Can't go wrong with chicken. How did the transport go?

    ReplyDelete

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)