Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Feeding Others to Feed Families in Need

So this Thursday is my first day of my work fundraiser. For those who don't know, I am cooking meals to sell as lunches at my work (a hospital) or to take home for dinner.

I really like the idea of cooking, my coworkers buying it, and the proceeds resulting in food for those who cannot afford to feed their families. It seems very full circle to me. I also feel more comfortable asking people to donate via getting a meal rather than a straight donation as I imagination everyone is getting donor fatigue what with the economy right now.

For my first meal I am preparing vegan Cuban beans and rice, fried sweet plantains and ropa vieja, a Cuban beef stew.

It's a lot of work, but I am hoping that over the next months I am able to raise over 1000 after costs. A bit ambitious, perhaps, but that is the goal. It looks like Thursday's meal will raise between 150 and 175 dollars, not bad for my first day!

I'd love for people to send me ideas & recipes for future meals-I am aiming to have 1 vegetarian and 1 meat/seafood option each time, and try to keep cost down so that there are more proceeds at the end of the fundraiser.

3 comments:

  1. You are a saint, good luck with this, if i worked with you I'd by lunch every thurs from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea! One of my co-workers does something similar for donations for her cancer biking trip~it's a great way to fund raise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly a wonderful idea! I enter my hot sauce in the Austin Hot Sauce Festival every year, from which the proceeds go to the Austin Food Bank, for feeding the homeless. It's always tons of fun and plenty of dynamite tasting going on too...

    ReplyDelete

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)