Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Spanish Garlic Soup (Sopa de Ajo)

Sopa de ajo is perfect for those winter nights when you need a little something to warm you up. It's also my favorite soup to have when I have a cold (take that, chicken noodle). It's incredibly simple to make, and delicious!

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons Spanish extra virgin olive oil

12 garlic cloves
3 thick slices of day old bread (white, baguette, ciabatta) (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon pimenton (Spanish smoked sweet paprika)
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
4 eggs

Use garlic press to crush cloves. Heat up the olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes, until garlic is soft. Add bread, paprika and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Immediately turn the heat down so that the soup is simmering, but no longer boiling. Cook about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Ladle soup into bowls. Crack egg over each bowl, the heat from the soup will cook the egg (not a whole lot-it's more like lightly poached). You can also add poached eggs, this will ensure your egg is done the way you like!

You can pulverize the bread if you prefer a more uniform texture.

2 comments:

  1. This looks tasty and will keep the vampires away

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything garlic. My boyfriend... not so much. Hasn't stopped me yet! Thanks for giving me another excuse to feed it to him.

    ReplyDelete

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)