Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Shrimp and Avocado Salad

This is a salad in the same way one can eat chicken salad. My friend and coworker brought in a very similar Chilean avocado salad for lunch one day; this is my version of her dish. Not terribly full of roughage but still very pretty and healthy and tasty! Avocado are high in lutein and beta carotene (good for eye health, especially for all of us who stare at a computer screen for hours), and have "healthy fats." Shrimp are a protein powerhouse, high in omega-3s, low in fat and have "good" cholesterol (the kind that takes bad cholesterol from cells to the liver and out of the body) and (What more can you really ask for?). And let's face it, avocado and shrimp are two of my favorite foods at the moment.

Ingredients:
2 avocados, ripe but still firm to the touch
1/2 lb medium de-veined cooked shrimp, with heads & tails removed
1 lemon
1/4 cup cilantro
2 tablespoons mayo (okay, this is not good for you, but is a vital part of the yummy-ness)
Salt
Pepper

Wash avocados and slice in half vertically. Remove pits and peels from both avocados.

Wash cilantro and let dry. Mince cilantro and mix with mayo. Juice lemon and mix into mayo mixture (lazy woman's aioli).

Chop up shrimp into quarters. Mix shrimp into aioli.

Place avocado halves onto 4 plates, pit-side up. Scoop shrimp salad equally into avocado halves. Salt and pepper to taste.

This is a great summer alternative to a typical salad.

8 comments:

  1. A perfect summer salad! I love the shrimp and avocados together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to make something like this, but I left my avocados in the plastic bag too long, so only one was good, but I must say girl you do post the most amazing foods on here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combo of plump shrimp and buttery avo is perfect! A simple, good salad here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful alchemy in this dish hey ,,,shrimp and avocado a classic yet well presented and contemporaneous dish. :) xxx Rico-Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  5. All you have to do is say avocado and I'm there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avocado and shrimp are a combo that I would never turn down! This is such a delectable presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this might be the best summer salad ever created

    ReplyDelete

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)