Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ginger and Lemon-Infused Vodka

I had a ginger and lemondrop martini almost 4 years ago at a Cuban restaurant in San Francisco. I haven't seen it in any other restaurants or bars and thus was inspired to make my own infused vodka. In a few days, I will post the martini recipe & photo! Very excited to taste how it turns out.

Ingredients:
3 lemons
1 small piece fresh ginger
A decent vodka (anything at the level of absolut or better is fine)
1 large glass container with lid (original vodka bottle is okay)

Wash lemons very well and dry with a paper towel. Cut off peel and remove white pith entirely, as this will become bitter in the vodka.

Peel ginger and cut into a few chunks.

Place ginger and lemon peel in container. Fill with vodka and cover.

Store in a dark place at room temperature, inverting the infusion several times every few days.

Strain and pour into decanter or bottle.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds soooo good! Since vodka is the base for so many of our favorite cocktails, it would be great to infuse a bottle ourselves. A toast to adult beverages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, infused vodka. I made some ginger infused vodka a while ago, it was wicked good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do love a cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob-how long did you leave your ginger in for? I have read anywhere from overnight to 2 weeks...I am going to leave it in for about 1 week I think.

    Tangled Noodle-There are a million different ways you can infuse liquor! If this turns out I think my next venture will be lemongrass or something else kinda funky.

    Chrystal&Amir-so do I, so do I... : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made this before and use other citrus too, the best is citron or Buddha's Hand. However, I use entire slices of lemon and have never had a bitter taste. Another way to do this is using pineapple chunks (fresh). You can also make a ginger infused simple syrup to use in cocktails or iced tea that is amazing and it will last for months in the fridge.

    devany, Hilo, HI
    www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has anyone tried this recipe? How did it taste?

    ReplyDelete

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)