Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Peanut Noodles with Shrimp and Mango


After work I set out on the mission of finding rice paper to make summer rolls. I had a recipe in mind, presentation all set...and no rice paper! (D@mn you Shaw's, Foodmaster and Trader Joe's!). Disappointed but not defeated, I had to alter my recipe a bit...rice noodles in place of rice paper...and the plum dipping sauce was out, peanut was in.

Salad Ingredients:


1 pack wide rice noodles

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 cup chopped mango

1 cucumber, peeled and cut into thin sticks

1 lb cooked shrimp, peeled, de-veined and de-tailed

2 green onions (about 1/2 cup chopped), cut horizontally

1/3 cup diced cilantro

1/4 cup crushed roasted peanuts

1 lime


Peanut Sauce Ingredients:


1/4 cup peanut butter

1 cup coconut milk

2 teaspoons ginger

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon rice vinegar

2 teaspoons brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper


Mix peanut butter with coconut milk in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, sugar and crushed red pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook about 5-10 minutes until mixture has thickened slightly, stirring to prevent the sauce from burning. Remove from heat. (Add more spice according to your personal preferences!)


Heat up a large pot of water. Add rice noodles to boiling water and cook according to instructions. Drain and rinse well with cold water. Toss noodles in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.


Toss cold noodles with 1/2 cup sauce. Add more until noodles are thinly coated with peanut sauce. Add shrimp, mango and cucumber and toss salad. Squeeze lime over salad. Top with cilantro, green onions and crushed peanuts.

13 comments:

  1. yum mango and noodles second mango post I have seen today lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you nailed the ingredients and the finishing touches of lime, cilantro, scallions and peanuts takes the whole dish to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not tried noodles with mangoes in any asian dish but this is truly innovative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy salad...great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of pad thai without the fish sauce. Really yummy flavour combo . . . and I have some peanuts to use, which makes me hungry. Adding mango sounds like a really good idea. 'Tis the season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love this! A reminder of what we love to make for a quick tasty dinner. Thanks from Santa Barbara, s

    ReplyDelete
  7. 4 a 1st attempt that looks pretty darn good.. :) xx Rico-Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although really I'm not an expert, I wouldn't be saying no to a taste test - just to make sure you didn't mess it up that is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really can't go wrong with mango and a peanut sauce! I'd love a serving of this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you're a clever cook! and this dish sounds very Asian..love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, right up my alley. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks and sounds absolutely delicious! I know the problem of getting to a store and they don't have what you need! I had that very problem today! grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this recipe. these Peanut noodles are sure to taste great and are extremely nutritious when you added shrimp and mango as well. I am going to make it for the holidays when my kids will be at home. I'll be sure that what they are eating is healthy.

    ReplyDelete

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)