Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Modern Caprese Salad


Slow roasted tomatoes and a fresh basil dressing update this classic Italian salad.

Ingredients:

1 lb slow roasted tomatoes
1 lb fresh mozzarella
1/2 cup basil leaves, shredded
1 clove garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Salt
Pepper

Prepare slow roasted tomatoes 6 hours prior to serving this salad (preferably overnight). Drain liquid from tomatoes after cooking. Reserve olive oil.

Slice fresh mozzarella into circles about 1/3 inch thick. Arrange overlapping slices of mozzarella on serving plate.

Chop garlic clove. Blend with reserved olive oil from tomatoes, extra olive oil, vinegar and fresh basil leaves.

Place roasted tomatoes over mozzarella slices.

Drizzle salad with fresh basil dressing. Salt and pepper to taste.

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait for my tomatoes to grow, I am definitely trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful with slow roasted tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good, I've never actually had caprese salad. I really should make some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could eat this dish everyday of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yum! Simple, elegant, and totally flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flavors of a caprese salad always get us excited. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)