Thursday, May 28, 2009

Avocado Smoothies

So, the first time I drank this, I was a bit dubious upon learning the ingredients, but upon first sip I fell in love with Avocado Smoothies. The blended avocado makes the creamiest smoothie and is a nice alternative to sweet fruit smoothies.

Ingredients:
1 avocado
1 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups ice cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup ice

Heat up 1/2 cup milk with vanilla in small saucepan until steaming (to cook out alcohol from vanilla). Remove from heat and let cool.

Wash and peel the avocado, removing its pit. Cut into large chunks.

Pulse together vanilla milk, remaining cup of milk, ice, sugar and avocado, adding in scoops of ice cream slowly. Blend until puree is smooth and one uniform color.

Pour into tall glasses and serve with a straw, or use fun margarita glasses with sugar coated rims.

8 comments:

  1. Nice!!! I love avocados. So this is right up my alley. Never tried it in a smoothie. Thinking out of the box, I like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm that actually sounds good with the icecream and sugar to sweeten my be good for my baby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting :) I bet my hubby would like it - he's a big avocado fan and eats them plain all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm... I think I am not sure. I might stick to the martini's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting! I love avocado and I love smoothies, I will definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. never thought something green as a drink would look that great ...well it does amazing so delicious. thx for sharing. :) xxx Rico

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, it's a really pretty color, but I'd have to give this a taste and not sure I'd want to waste an avocado just for a taste! I think I'll continue to use my avo for guacamole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ladies, I totally had my doubts at first too! But the flavor is exquisite and so worth trying, at least once : ) Trust me, you will not regret it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)