I was lucky enough to enjoy cupcakes and tea this afternoon at the Ritz Carlton in Boston, MA-a birthday gift from my good friend Ayako. All month long, the Ritz is holding teatime with a flight of mini cupcakes. (Classy, but still comfort food for the kid in all of us).
The five cupcakes (starting with the cake at the top of the photo) were:
- Boston Cream Pie (Vanilla Sponge Cupcake, Fresh Pastry Cream, Valrhona Chocolate Glaze)
- Black Forest (Valrhona Chocolate Cupcake, Kirsch Cherries, Chantilly Cream, Valrhona Chocolate Shavings)
- Lemon Meringue (Lemon Chiffon Cupcake, Zesty Lemon Curd, Toasted Meringue)
- Irish Coffee (Valrhona Chocolate Cupcake, Kirsch Cherries, Chantilly Cream, Valrhona Chocolate Shavings)
- Tiramisu (Sponge Cupcake, Mascarpone Espresso Cream, illy Espresso, Rum Drizzle)*
Pots of steeped tea were kept warm by a small candle (rather fondue-like in its functionality). Our waiter Andres kept our cups full by pouring the tea through a small strainer.
At the end a single cupcake with two candles (my friend Margo also had a birthday-she is 2 days older than me), macaroons, chocolates and a chocolate ganache happy birthday wish.
If you are in the Boston area (or potentially near any Ritz-I would imagine this is going on throughout May at other locations) I would highly recommend bringing your friends or family to enjoy these tiny but tasty treats.
*(Descriptions are from the Ritz's website.)