Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fabada (Fava Bean and Chorizo Soup)

Ingredients:
1 lb. Fava beans
4 small chorizo sausages or 2 large ones, chopped
1/4 lb. pancetta, chopped (not Spanish, I know, but I like the added flavor)
1/4 lb. jamón serrano, chopped
1/2 lb. ham hocks
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 carrot, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 garlic
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 bay leaf
a few threads of saffron
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Salt to taste

Soak the white beans in water overnight. Drain, rinse thoroughly and drain again.

Heat oil in large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the chorizo, pancetta, jamon serrano and other meat products and sear meat on all sides. (It's okay if it isn't completely seared-just do the best you can to brown the meat). Place meat large stew pot over medium heat.

In pan with meat drippings, saute the onion, carrot, garlic, paprika and saffron for a 5-7 minutes over medium heat, add additional oil if necessary. Add to stew pot, along with chopped parsley and bay leaf.

Add beans to stew pot. Add chicken broth and extra water if necessary to cover all the beans/meat. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, or until beans are tender. Make sure the beans are always covered with liquid, adding water if necessary.

Take several beans, mash them up, return them to the pot and cook uncovered for several minutes.

Serve with good crusty bread.

To buy good chorizo or other Spanish products in Boston, I LOVE Las Ventas. Its owner, Julio de Haro. owns the tapas restaurant next door, Estragon (I haven't been there yet as I am a big fan of Dali), and always gives me free samples of cheeses, sausages, etc. They also do lunch sandwiches. Mmmm...

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful soup. I will have to try this. I love Spanish food & great Chorizo is something I can truly locate here in Mexico. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks mad good, I love chorizo. Your serving pot thing is cool too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a nice combination! I have only cooked fava beans once and it was not a pretty site...you ask my hubby about the 'fava bean incident' and he will roll his eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some serious comfort food on a cold night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Joie de vivre...not so cold as I was in Santo Domingo! But it was delicious nonetheless

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds and looks like something from my beloved Portugal....Fava bean (Broad Beans) with chourico (cured garlic and paprika pork sausage) a perfect combination. We also make a meal with identical ingredients called "favas com chourico"...excellent recipe thx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caitlin, a big hello to you. And a HAPPY NEW YEAR. I love the sound of this soup. It has just the right amount of spiciness that I look for in a dish. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)