Friday, January 23, 2009

Blood Orange and Mango Sorbet

3 medium ripe mangos, peeled and cut into chunks (I used 3 cups of frozen mango chunks, thawed)
2-1/2 cups blood orange juice from 7 to 8 medium blood oranges

3/4 cup granulated sugar, or to taste (if mangos are not sweet I'd use 1 cup sugar)

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon finely grated blood orange zest

Blend the mango and blood orange juice high speed until smooth. Strain into into a large measuring cup. Ideally this makes about 4 cups. If it is less, decrease the sugar, lemon juice and zest by the percentage less, i.e if you have 3 cups, use 3/4 tablespoon lemon juice, etc. If it makes more, increase the sugar, lemon juice and zest.

Combine the sugar and about one-quarter of the pureed fruit in a medium saucepan. Turn heat to medium and cook until the sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally, about 2-3 minutes. Stir into the remaining fruit and mix in the lemon juice and blood orange zest. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.

Pour into freezer-safe container and seal lid. Check and stir every hour or so, to prevent the sorbet from becoming too crystallized/to make it smooth. When it is very chunky but not completely frozen, blend sorbet again to make uniform. Pour back into container, seal, and freeze until use.


Photo cour testy of JayChef-amazing food photographer

3 comments:

  1. Those bloody blood oranges! Oh, how we love them. Just adore that color. A glass of blood orange juice is amazing. But your sorbet sounds even MORE amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this combination and I like how I don't need to pull out the ice cream maker. I bet the final product is a beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great combo and I love how you don't need an ice cream maker. Thanks for your sweet comments. I'm not in the business, I do this for fun!

    ReplyDelete

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)