Sunday, February 22, 2009

Spicy Shredded Beef


I love my Mom's hot, shredded beef sandwiches. (So much that I often forgo the bun in order to fit more meat in my stomach).

They are ridiculously easy to prepare and cheap. I got a 4 lb bottom roast for about 8 dollars, canned peppers for 1.50, garlic for .50, rolls for 1.50 and already had beer, spices and onions at home. So all in all this recipe costs about 13 bucks. And it feeds a small army. After cooking, I should have about 3+ pounds of shredded beef, or about 8 sandwiches.


Ingredients:
4 lb beef roast (look for pot roast or oven roast on
the label-or it should say bottom cut or chuck)
1 bottle beer (I am using a lager)

1 onion, diced
1 small head garlic, minced
1 small can diced green chilies
1 small can sliced jalapenos
1/4-1/3 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt, to taste
Olive oil
Dinner rolls

Preheat oven to 275.

Heat up olive oil in large saute pan over medium high heat. Sear/brown beef on all sides. This browning adds a deeper flavor to the beef. Remove and place in deep oven dish. Pour beer over beef. Add peppers, onion, garlic, soy sauce and spices. Cover with aluminum foil or a baking dish cover.

Cook until meat registers an internal temperature of about 110 or a little more. The meat should fall apart easily when pulling with a fork. The importance of cooking cheaper cuts at a low temperature, is that it does not evaporate their juices, which would both dry the meat and as a result you would lose mass. A low temperature also breaks down the tough collagen into a gelatinous state, rendering the meat moist and tender.


Turn oven up to 500 to further brown the outside of the meat, this occurs quickly, in about 10 to 15 minutes, as the slow cooking draws protein and sugar laden juices to the top. Remove from oven once browned.

The total process takes about 7-8 hours, but needs little supervision during this time.


Once cool enough to handle, shred beef using your hands or with a fork, whatever is easiest for you.

Stuff dinner rolls with shredded beef and serve with yuca fries

6 comments:

  1. I am so making this today...I am using short ribs though, and was about to look up a recipes and will give credit to you and a link here, this looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chef E! I love slow cooking meat. I have never made short ribs-let me know how yours turn out! I've toyed with making short ribs similar to this recipe, only using chipotles in adobo in place of these peppers, a heavier beer and adding some brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I also happen to love yuca fries :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really yummy- and easy! Also great for when its cold and the oven can keep my apt warm and toasty for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! this is the recipe I am looking for, simple and not pricey to make! i am a beef lover and this would be nice with a few friends over :D
    great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oohh these look tasty - good comfort food!

    ReplyDelete

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)