Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sofrito

I use "sofrito" in many (perhaps most) of my recipes. It is to Latin cuisine what "mirepoix" (onions, carrots and celery) is to French cuisine. The following is my version of sofrito-the amounts of each ingredient can be played around with according to one's individual preferences.

Ingredients:
2 onions
2 bell peppers (green gives kick to your recipe, yellow, red & orange add a softer, sweeter flavor)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup minced cilantro
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Oil
Salt
Pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat in large saute pan. Add first four ingredients and stir, turning heat down to medium. Cook about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook 2 additional minutes. stirring occasionally. Add cumin and paprika. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)