Thursday, September 17, 2009

Maxixe!



I spotted this vegetable today at the farmer's market. Never having seen it before, my mind immediately jumped to "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (nice imagery there...). While not quite as menacing, the maxixe, or Brazilian cucumber, is an intriguing vegetable sold by Hmong Family Farms. Eager to try a nice vegetable, one whose appearance is quite enticing, I purchased this bunch to for dinner this weekend.






A little background information: the Maxixe, similar in texture and flavor to a cucumber, is thought to have originated in Africa. It can be eaten raw or cooked and has a slight lemony taste. It is common in Brazil where it is used in soups, salads, and cooked with beef dishes.


I plan to make a salad with heirloom tomatoes, bianca (ivory!)and chocolate bell peppers (!) and perhaps some Kalatama olives and feta cheese. I'll let you know how it tastes/turns out.

6 comments:

  1. It looks a little like a horned melon only green. Can't wait to hear about how it tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am excited to try it (and the new bell peppers) this weekend : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caitlin, this is cool! I have not seen one yet, or the dragon fruit for that matter...I hope you enjoyed the flavor in your salad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SO want to find some of these to try! How interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Tried my recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Be honest (and kind!)